Panchakarma is one of the most well known parts of Ayurveda. It is a cleansing and rejuvenating therapy for the body and mind. It cleanse body’s deep tissues of toxins, open the subtlvie channels, bring life enhancing energy thereby increasing vitality, inner peace, confidence and well-being.
Before the actual panchakarma procedure, there is a need to prepare the body with prescribed methods like snehana and swedana (oil massage and sudation).
VAMANA (Therapeutic vomiting or emesis):
Vamana means therapeutic vomiting which is a medicated emesis. This treatment is done for the aggravated kapha dosha, which dislodges the toxins mainly from the respiratory and gastrointestinal tract. When there is congestion in the lungs causing bronchitis, colds, cough or asthma, the ayurvedic treatment is vamana, to eliminate the kapha causing the excess mucus. This therapy is done for preventive & curative purposes.
- Vitiated and aggrasive kapha dosha is expelled out of the body, leading to cure of diseases
- Digestion and metabolism power will improve
- Sense organs and mind gets cleared and gain strength
- Improves immunity
- Improves chances of fertility
- Helps to slow down ageing process
Virechana means purgation. . It is given after properly judging the type of disease and tolerance of the patient. It helps to flush out of the toxins and excess mucus from the GI tract. When excess pitta is secreted and accumulated in the gallbladder, liver and small intestine it tends to result in rashes, skin inflammation, acne, chronic attacks of fever, biliary vomiting, nausea and jaundice. Purgation helps to expel excess pitta causing the bile disturbance in the body.
- Flush out toxins and excess mucus from the GI tract and improves digestion
- Clears congestion from the liver and improves metabolism and fat digestion
- Relieves many gastrointestinal disorders
- Improves condition of skin disorders, rashes and allergies and nourishes the skin
- Improves immunity
- Helps in weight reduction
Nasya is nasal administration of medicines. Nose is the direct route to the brain and also the doorway to consciousness. It is the entrance for prana, vital life force, which comes into the body through the breath. Healthy uncongested breathing is important to ensure proper flow of prana throughout the head and body. When an excess of bodily fluids accumulates in the sinus, throat, nose or head areas, it is eliminated by nasya.
- Lubricates and protects the nasal passages and helps to relieve sinus congestion
- Reduces nasal dryness
- Helps to release tension in the head and relieve accumulated stress
- Balances vata, pitta and kapha
- Improves quality of voice, strengthen vision and promotes mental clarity.
Basti is an enema of medicated oils or decoctions used in Ayurveda. It cleanses the accumulated toxins from the body through the colons, balances tridoshas especially cures diseases due to vata dosha. Vata is very active principle in pathogenesis and is mainly located in large intestine and bone tissues. Any medication given rectally goes into the deeper tissues, like bones and corrects vata disorders.
It is of two types
- Anuvasana basthi: basti with medicated oil or ghee is called Sneha vasti. This vasthi moistens dry tissues and organs, reduces hyperactive digestion and vata diseases including nervous condition.
- Asthapana basthi: : basthi with medicated decoction is called kashaya vasthi and normally after a course of snehavasthi. This gives health to healthy persons and gives strength to weak tissue
- Improves immunity
- Cleanses and nourishes colon
- Balances vata dosha and cures diseases like backache, cervical spondylosis
- Puts body in a state of equilibrium
- Cures digestive disorders
Raktha mokshana is the detoxification of blood. Toxins present in the gastrointestinal tract are absorbed into the blood and circulated throughout the body, this condition is called as toxemia which is the basic cause of repeated infections, hypertension and other circulatory conditions. This includes repeated attacks of skin disorders such as urticaria, rashes, herpes, eczema, acne. In such conditions along with internal medication elimination of the toxins and purification of blood is necessary, so in such conditions rakthamokshana can be done.
- Helps to stimulate immune system
- Best treatment for skin diseases
- Helpful in varicose vein
- Purifies blood
- Best treatment for ulcers and wounds